With an abundance of things to do in Zanzibar, it is not surprising that this island is widely considered one of the top destinations in Africa. Lying about 25km off the coast of Tanzania in East Africa, Zanzibar is technically an archipelago. The island commonly known as Zanzibar Island is where most of the area’s top highlights are found.
Whether you are dreaming of a romantic honeymoon on this island, or tropical bliss is high up on your bucket list, here are the most amazing things to do in Zanzibar.
Don’t miss these things to do in Zanzibar
In no particular order, our top picks for Zanzibar activities and attractions include the following:
1. Forodhani Gardens. Established in 1936 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Sultan Khalifa (1911–60), these gardens are breath-taking. It has a lovely community atmosphere that makes it ideal for a laid-back lunch or tea. There are a number of cafes and benches found here, along with a food market that runs in the evening.
2. Dhow Cruise. These traditional sailboats are perfect for exploring the tropical waters of Zanzibar. Essentially dug out canoes with sails, they are a common sight along the Indian Ocean. You can hire one or take a leisurely cruise around the island.
3. Jozani-Chwaka National Park. This is a great place for nature lovers. From its lush green forest, to the abundance of wildlife and bird species, this park is an oasis that is sure to provide cool sanctuary on hot days.
4. Stone Town Waterfront. Stone Town itself offers much to see and do. But the Waterfront is especially charming. There are plenty of cafes along the shore, along with market stalls and harbour scenes. You may even spot a feral harbour cat if you look carefully!
5. Zanzibar Butterfly Center. Another delightful place is the Butterfly Centre, which houses a huge variety of fluttery winged beauties. While kids will love this place, adults will leave feeling amazed as well, making this ideal on a Zanzibar honeymoon.
Of course, there are many, many other things to do in Zanzibar as well. From its world-class beaches to its delicious food offerings, bustling markets, interesting museums and cultural landmarks, every day on this island brings new adventure.